Friday, January 14, 2011

gnocchi à la parisienne

After some very busy days at work and letting L do the cooking it felt good to be back in the kitchen today and cooking along with the French Friday gang.  This version of gnocchi is not the gnocchi most of us know as it's not a potato based dough but rather like a pâte à choux.  The dough came together nicely.  I used a suggestion from a fellow FFwD member and put the dough in a ziploc bag with the corner cut off.  I squeezed out the dough while L snipped it off in little bits into the boiling water.  Piece of cake...except when the water splashes up into your eye.  I should have listened more to my FFwD members when it came to the béchamel sauce.  Everyone commented how thick it was.  The ratio of butter to flour called for 2 1/2 tablespoons butter to 6 tablespoons of flour.  I normally do an even ratio.  I cut it down to 5 tablespoons but I still found the sauce too think.  It had a nice taste but just too thick and rich.  I actually had some sauce on my plate and D commented it looked like a gnocchi.  Overall not our favourite but the gnocchi were nice and light, willing to give this one a try again someday.

5 comments:

  1. Your gnocchi looks warm and delicious! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy! I think we should try the gnocchi with a light marinara sauce...I think they would really shine. I agree this sauce was a bit too thick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how much of a splash that food can make when it plops into boiling water! The flour/ butter ratio definitely wasn't quite right - glad yours worked out well in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out beautifully in the end! I thought the dish was flavourful, but I don't know if I'll make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is exactly the sort of thing I'm craving these days. i wonder how it'd be with a tomato sauce? And what do you mean you've never had a beet? I love them!

    ReplyDelete